Monday 1 October 2012

Busy weekend

On Friday morning I was behind the counter of the plant stall at the MacMillan Breast Cancer Coffee Morning in ENKCA village hall at Balkeerie. The plant stall raised £106 and the event brought in £800 overall including contributions at the door and sales from the cake and candy table. 


After that I packed the car and headed to Aberdeen for the March Hare Market. It was excellent!
Well organised and publicised, in an excellent venue at the BB HQ in Crimond Place, just a few blocks off Union Street, near the flats of Rosemount which must house lots of young people, some of whom are apparently lovers of vintage!


Older people were also keen to buy pieces of china, handmade jewellery, soaps and homewares. The premises supplied cups of tea to stall holders and the hall keeper was generally very helpful. Congratulations to Kate Higgs and her team of helpers who made every thing run smoothly. Sorry I was too busy to take pix.


The day proved successful in many ways. I met lovely customers, who appreciated the vintage china, music and clothing I had taken with me. Interestingly, I met business people who are keen to buy lovely old china, such as I have accumulated. Some wanted to hire it out, one to sell it on at profit to the right clientele and Craig, the lovely Blue Mogganer, (Peterheid native) - whose Facebook posts had me in stitches this morning  - wanted to drill holes in the plates, saucers and cups . . . and turn them into cakestands! I also met a former class mate who might be able to help me on the stall at the next March Hare Market on October 27th   All in all a very good day, full of North Eastern promise.

I was too tired to move on Saturday night so I stayed the night and on Sunday morning I headed back down the road to the Carnaby Market at the Vu nightclub in Dundee.


A very different setting that created a good atmosphere for the event, but proved a bit too dark to see stock.


The venue was in the city centre and again there was a mixture of young and old, including a very nice Dundee grandma with a very open and generous spirit, shopping with her young granddaughter. 


There was some interest in my fabric stash, but sheet music proved a better seller!


Doreen from Gladrags, Queen of very vintage fashions, has her eye on a suit I wore to a wedding long long ago. I didn't realise she had tried it on until I spied her in the viewfinder, but I wasn't quick enough to get a good picture.


The layout of the club had the potential to be a great shopping place, because people walked round in circles and went over their tracks, revisiting stalls and seeing things that had caught their eye earlier. Shelves for drinks proved handy for display and different floor heights prevented the usual 'been round the floor once and seen it all' view.


Next week the Funk Fair is in the Queens Hotel, Dundee on Sunday. I'm looking forward already and  threading up the sewing machine in preparation. See you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment